Monday, May 23, 2011

A Lesson in Humility

     So... the theology at my Korean church isn't very deep... I hope that I can encourage my friends to learn theology, to study the Bible carefully, to grow deeper in their understanding of God. (Not that I don't need all of that, too.) I thought I had a perfect opening to help my friends learn theology a few weeks ago, when my praise team was discussing our next turn...


     I'd learned in advance that we would be discussing our next theme at this meeting (the Saturday after Children's Day), and as we'd discussed Job a bit at my house (/apartment/'one-room'), I created a theme and a proposed set list centered around rejoicing in the Lord, even in difficult times. They liked it, and even though the list needed some tweaking for flow, etc, it was well-received. Recently, (beginning in the last rotation) the teams have had to create 'preview' videos for their team, which show at the end of the service the week before their team's turn. We discussed this as well at the meeting (okay, they discussed, I got some parts translated here and there...), and they decided on a fairy-tale-esque video. Since I am somewhat gifted in writing (and humble??), I offered to make the story. My first one was a script, which I sent to my designated translator the next Friday. However, they weren't looking for a script, they wanted a narrated tale, so I revised some more and sent the revisions in the next Friday (as in, Friday a few days ago). Now, it did not take me a week each time, I was just rather lazy... I did feel that I had submitted good work with strong, solid theological content, which would hopefully encourage my teammates redirect their thinking toward God in different circumstances.
     Today, my designated translator and the team leader came up to me during small-groups time after church. "We have bad news." I was told. "You're not going to use my story, are you?" I guessed. I was right. They said something about it being too hard to make into a video and too little time, etc. Next time, they promised. I hadn't envisioned a grand work for my story - just photographs and a voiceover, which I tried to explain, but it didn't work. I was more than a little ticked off. How could they not use my story?? It had such strong theological content, too!! I didn't make much effort to disguise my irritation and frustration, and turned away from them back to my small group. They were just then opening their Bibles. To what passage? Isaiah 55:8 (I read a little farther, too, through verse 11):
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
   neither are your ways my ways,”
            declares the LORD.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
   so are my ways higher than your ways
   and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 As the rain and the snow
   come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
   without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
   so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
   It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
   and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.



     What could I do, but repent? Indeed, who am I that I should have presumed so much? Frankly, I don't know what purpose God has in me attending my Korean church. For that matter, I don't know what purpose God has in me being in Korea, but that does not excuse me from trusting Him, and His perfect plan. Will I continue to seek opportunities to encourage and teach my Korean friends? Absolutely. Do I need a healthy dose of pride-killing humility? Only one dose? I need a daily vitamin for it.
     Pray for me, that God would continue to kill my pride; that I won't feel like an outsider/foreigner around my Korean friends; that I won't feel lonely or homesick; and that I will recognize the opportunities God gives me to give an answer for the hope that is within me.


Signing off,
Miss Chatters

No comments: