Sunday, May 1, 2011

Baking

A few posts ago, I mentioned my new oven. I like it very much. Very, very much!! I enjoy baking cookies and quick breads and sharing them with my friends at both of my churches and at work, and my friends certainly enjoy eating them!

Tonight, I am making my first attempt at yeast bread. It's quite exciting, believe it or not. I also made a batch of brownies, blond brownies (which I added about 3/4 t too much salt to... yikes!! Thankfully, they're not overbearingly salty.), and there are 4 pans of shoofly cake waiting to go into the oven when the now-baking bread comes out. I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

On Wednesday, I began a sourdough starter (I learned how here.), and, because the author suggested that a starter is like a pet, and because I am a slightly nerdy writer, I named my starter Prestwick, which is, I believe, the name of the international airport at Glasgow. If I need to make a new starter, I'll name it Prestwick II (the second), not Prestwick 2, since Prestwick is a preppy name, in my opinion. I will hopefully make my first sourdough loaf within the week.

I've been 'redeeming the time' (to use a Christian-ese phrase) while baking by listening to an audio version of The Holiness of God by RC Sproul. It's quite good, I recommend it!

I'm going to get to bed late, unfortunately, 'cause the Shoofly cake requires a good 45 mins in the oven, and only 2 pans will fit in at one time... Sigh.

The loaves are out!! They look very nice, especially since I rubbed them with butter. (I definitely need to get a pastry brush next time I go to E-Mart, since my fingers are not happy with rubbing the butter on themselves...) I hope they taste great! I'm not sure what to provide with it, since bread by itself is not very satisfying... perhaps I will bring along the jam I have... along with a butter knife... hopefully someone will have a bread knife... I need to get me one of those...

Lord willing, my Korean praise team will be coming over to my house/apartment on Thursday. I'm warily excited - wary because I have had two similar plans with others fall through recently, excited because if it does work out, it should be a LOT of fun, right? I'm banking on the fact that not everyone will come, since my studio apartment is on the small side when you stuff 20 people into it... even 10 would be pushing it... Anyway, I hope they'll come over and we can make some cookies, and order in some dinner, and maybe go to noraebang (karaoke)! We'll order in dinner because I have very little confidence in my dinner-making abilities. And we'll go to noraebang because I love noraebang! (I've only gone a few times, since it's one of those things you do with friends... and I live rather far away from my friends... so I haven't been to noraebang since February...)

Anyway, I need to hang up my clothes to dry, and then it'll be about time to pull out the first round of Shoofly cake.

Signing off,
Miss Chatters

No comments: